Monday, May 28, 2012

Entry Room and Laundry - Part 2

After a little head scratching and finding out that the laundry room was actually an outside porch converted over, we had no other choice than to correct the problems.  We decided to tear down to the bare studs, yes that's right, remove the siding and sheathing and all that was left was us looking out into our yard.  My husband changed the horizontal studs back to the proper vertical studs, new window, new wall dividing the entry way and laundry room.


It took a little bit to figure out how to finish the ceiling but once we found out the laundry room was actually a porch at one time, why not make the ceiling beadboard.  So from that point, we decided to incorporate a farmhouse feel in our decor.



I first want this to be noted, I have lived with painted woodwork for the past 20 years and if I have to replace any woodwork, it will NEVER be painted.  Don't get me wrong, painted woodwork can look beautiful and sharp looking.  I don't know if my family is rough on woodwork but I cannot stand seeing nicks in woodwork or repainting woodwork to freshen up the paint.  So with that being said, it's now hours of staining and poly-urethaning all of the wood.



We decided to make it easier on us and use sheets of beadboard plywood.  Putting up sheets is SOOO much easier and faster than the individual boards, then the normal insulation and drywall.  I don't know about you but drywalling is the worst part of remodeling.  Mud, sand, mud, sand and mud, sand two more times seems to take forever.  If you don't get everything smooth as silk then it looks like a crap job!




Now that all of the icky work is done, putting on the paint is the fun part for me!  



I can't wait to show you some of the fun projects we incorporated in the rooms.  Come back for a peak...

No comments:

Post a Comment